Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Authentic

It was hard to think of something authentic that my generation has, but one thing I came up with was the “emo” scene. Although emo is now popularized and exploited, the term was once fresh and unique. Emo now commonly has a bad stereotype to go along with it, when before it was just used to describe a style of music, usually pop rock. I went to www.urbandictionary.com and searched emo, and all the definitions were about being depressed, dying your hair black, and listening to bad music. In reality, “emo” is not short for “emotional.” Emo was originally short for “emotive” music, and wasn’t something that people called themselves. My generated coined that term, and now is well-known, even if the definition is largely misunderstood. I wish that my generation had more things that are authentic, and maybe more will come up as time goes on.

No comments: